Learn to Sail: Women’s Basic Keelboat Full Course
Earn your Basic Keelboat certification with our 5-day US Sailing Basic Keelboat class designed specifically for women! Whether you’re a novice or have some sailing experience, this course is tailored to empower and inspire women to confidently navigate the open waters. Join us for an unforgettable week of learning, camaraderie, and the joy of sailing. No matter your experience level, this course is designed to build confidence, foster teamwork, and create lasting memories on the water.
Begin by learning boating terminology, points of sail, sailing upwind and downwind, steering, basic knots, safety on the water, and practicing crew overboard drills—then progress to learning advanced sail trim, tacking, jibing, rules of the road, basic navigation, knots, reefing, line handling, outboard engine basics, and docking.
This is a hands-on class that takes place on the water and in the classroom. We teach on our Cal 20 and Catalina 250. They are responsive but have a 6-foot keel so they can’t tip over. Our classes have 8 students or less. You will get to know each other and your instructors pretty well over the course of a weekend, or week-long class—it’s part of the fun!
After completing Basic Keelboat Full Course, students will be tested for the US Sailing Basic Keelboat Certification, and on completion will receive a US Sailing Membership, a Logbook and a Certification Sticker that can be used around the country to rent or charter sailboats up to 27’.
Women and girls’ programs at Northwest Maritime Center welcome those who identify as women and girls regardless of assignment at birth. These programs also welcome people who identify as non-binary or gender non-conforming and want to be in a female-centered environment.
May 27–31, June 17–21, July 22–26, Aug 12–16
9 AM–4 PM | Cost: $1100 non-members, $1045 members
- Prerequisites: While there is no prerequisite for this course, students are highly encouraged to take the “Basic Keelboat Online Course” in order to best prepare for your in-person training: www.boaterexam.com/sailing/basickeelboat/. Contact our registrar for a discount on the online prep course.
- For Ages: 16+
- Platform: We teach on our Cal 20 and Catalina 250. There will also be some time spent inside the chartroom at the NWMC campus.
- Duration: Five consecutive days: Monday–Friday, 9 AM–4 PM
- Audience: Beginners who identify as female, non-binary, or gender non-conforming who are looking to gain foundational knowledge and earn their US Sailing Basic Keelboat Certification in a female-centered environment.
- Materials: Tuition for this course includes the US Sailing Basic Keelboat Textbook, which will be waiting for you in the classroom. Alternatively, you may collect it ahead of time from our Welcome Center on the first floor of the Northwest Maritime campus, opening May 2024. Simply tell the cashier at checkout your name and that you are registered for a Keelboat class. An online version of the textbook is available instead of the paper copy—please contact our registrar if you’d prefer the online version.
- Registration: Sign up online at nwmaritime.campbrainregistration.com
- Cost: $1100 non-members, $1045 members
- Notes: Please watch for a reminder email with class schedules, details, and pack list to be sent via email one week before class. This class has a two-person minimum.