Intro to Racing with the Port Townsend Sailing Association
September 14-15 | 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM | $350
NEW IN FALL OF 2019! Join us for the trial run of a new collaborative offering with the Port Townsend Sailing Association. They’re the folks responsible for rallying all those pretty boats you’ve seen racing on the waterfront Wednesday and Friday nights.
What you’ll get out of it:
- Level up: Sailing side-by-side against similar boats and other sailors with a range of skill provides immediate points of reference and feedback that can dramatically lift your learning and your performance.
- Community: Essential to any decent racing program is the social energy that builds around learning and competition, the planning, race committee (referees), the after-party, and everything in between.
- Strategy: Sailboat racing is about more than being tight on your tacks and gybes (tactics); it’s a bigger game played at many levels from meteorology to campaign planning, leadership and team dynamics to ecologically-informed navigation. All that and the proper snack regimen.
- 8 hours on the water: racing on three Thunderbirds with an experienced racer on board as coach. You’ll have a chance to try different roles on board and experience several short-course races from start to finish
- 2x 2-hour morning seminars
- Bird’s-eye-view: Racing rules and typical race courses
- Crew roles: Skipper, trimmers, tactician, foredeck—who does what and how
- Communication and crew work: the fundamentals of good teamwork on deck
- Gear: What you need to be comfortable and competent on board
- Local knowledge: typical wind and tidal current considerations in local waters
- Basic strategy and tactics: sail selection, starts, upwind and downwind legs, reaching, “laying the mark,” thinking in terms of Velocity Made Good (VMG), adjusting for current
- Distance races and regattas: learn about the many different racing possibilities on the Salish Sea
- How to get a crew position: do’s and don’ts of getting into racing as a greenhorn
- Casual after-race debrief with refreshments at a local pub (loc TBA)