Volunteer for the Wooden Boat Festival
Shift signups coming in June!
Want to be a part of the biggest celebration in town?
Over 500 volunteers support the Wooden Boat Festival each year. They help kids build wooden boats, keep the docks safe, direct traffic, bartend at our pop-up bars, and more. We’d love for you to join our team! Read the job descriptions below to see where you might want to help out.
Step 1: Fill out a Volunteer Application
If you filled out a volunteer application in 2016 and your t-shirt size hasn’t changed, you can skip the application and just sign the waiver. All volunteers must sign a release waiver each calendar year before taking part in volunteer activities.
Make sure you select “Wooden Boat Festival” on your application to ensure you receive the email announcing shift signups in June!
Step 2: Read this Important Information
Seriously, please read it.
1. Volunteers are required to attend one of our two volunteer orientations, either August 31 or September 5, 6:00–8:00 PM. Doors open at 5:30! Crew t-shirts will be given out at the volunteer orientations on a first-come, first-serve basis. We try to order enough for everyone, but we cannot guarantee you a t-shirt unless you attend one of the volunteer orientations.
2. While we welcome you to work as many shifts as you like, working a total of 12 hours will earn you:
• A free 3-day Festival pass
• An official Crew t-shirt with Festival logo
• An invitation to our volunteer appreciation party on Festival Sunday, 6:00–8:00 PM (Actually, all volunteers are invited!)
3. Please check in 15 minutes before your shift start time at the Volunteer Tent inside Festival HQ (near SEA Marine). Please check in there for the first shift of each day you work.
Step 3: Sign up for Shifts
Click on the job titles below to read the full descriptions and signup for shifts. Please be sure to use the same contact information and spelling as you did in your volunteer application.
Or Inquire About Joining a Specialty Crew:
Step 3: Sign up for Shifts
Click on the job titles below to read the descriptions and see where you might like to help out. Then wait for the email announcing the signups at the end of June. If you haven’t yet checked “Wooden Boat Festival” on your volunteer application, please do so in order to receive the email!
Please DO NOT sign up for Wee Nip shifts here. Wee Nip volunteers are handpicked by the Wee Nip captain and are organized separately.
Please DO NOT sign up for Wee Nip shifts under Bar Harbor. Wee Nip volunteers are handpicked by the Wee Nip captain and are organized separately.
Setup volunteers are in charge of setting up fences, tables, and the North Star Stage, trash can delivery, banner hanging, sign posting… to name a few. Join the pre-Festival buzz. It’s a fun couple of days!
We have a very special place in our hearts for those who join the teardown crew and stick it out til the end with us. We rely on these volunteers each year to tear down and clean up the Festival after most people have gone home. If you’re reliable, can do some heavy lifting, and don’t mind missing the volunteer party Sunday evening, please join this crew!
Friday 9/8, 8-10AM
Saturday 9/9, 8-9AM
Sunday 9/10, 8-9AM